Wednesday, May 16, 2012

They're Back with a Bang: The Mavericks Launch New Single

The media has been telling us that Lionel Richie is the biggest country star on earth right now.  But the last time I mentioned it and asked for your comments, most of you seemed to land somewhere between amused and appalled at the thought.  I get it.  When I was a kid, Dad played Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, and Patsy Cline ALL the time.  My grandmother yodeled.  My first concert was Johnny Cash at the WHO Theater in Des Moines in 1963.  I was only four years old but it still counts!

I'm what you call a country music purist for sure, and I haven't cared much for most contemporary country music for a long time.

Well, we just got some news from Universal that I am EXCITED about! (I think you will be too, Dwight, we seem to agree on music pretty regularly.) 

The Mavericks are back with all the buzz you'd expect from one of country music's most successful bands of the 90's.  With countless hits, gold and platinum albums, and numerous CMA, ACM, and Grammy awards, there is no arguing that they could rest on their laurels, but this week the band issued its comeback single "Born to be Blue" to overwhelming reaction.  On Tuesday, May 29 their new EP "Suited Up and Ready" will be released on iTunes. 

If you've never heard them before, check this out to whet your appetite.  This is a 2008 live video of one of their biggest hits, "All You Ever Do is Bring Me Down" originally released in 1996.



What do you think?  Are Lionel's days numbered?  I know I'll be keeping my eyes open for a Mavericks tour date near me. 

6 comments:

  1. I think its just like Kelly Clarkson. She did a duet with Jason Aldean and that brought her into country music, since then she released a country version of "Mr know-it-all" which doesn't make her a country artist. Lionel isn't going to be remembered 50 years from now for his duets with country singers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Mavericks are AWESOME. I like Lionel Richie a little too, but certainly do not think he is the biggest country star on earth right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed it pixel46. Lionel Richie will be remembered 50 years from now, but not for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could argue both sides. But he isn't the next Darius Rucker. lol

      Delete
    2. Does that mean I won something?

      Delete
    3. Sure does! Send your physical mailing address to rcconline@rccwestern.com and I'll take care of you. I've got a Dan Post boot bag, a Corral trucker cap, and a bracelet sitting on my desk right now. Which one do you want?

      Delete